Eating well for the new year does NOT mean falling into diet fads or completely avoiding the things that you want and the foods that comfort you.
Why eat well if you’re not overweight?
- It helps you avoid depression.
- Contrary to popular belief, binging on comfort foods will not reduce stress. Eating well helps your body to fight anxiety.
- It strengthens your heart.
- It lessens your risk of a whole list of major diseases.
- It adds years to your life.
- It strengths your bones.
- It makes you look and FEEL better about yourself inside and out.
So, what does “eating well” mean? The pyramid isn’t exactly relevant anymore. A healthy lifestyle now means trying out a variety of balanced foods. Emphasize fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Make sure to choose lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts. Avoid foods and drinks that are high in sugar and salt, trans fats and cholesterol. Drink plenty of water!
Don’t try to overcomplicate your diet and think too much about counting every calories. Enjoy your food and try new twists on old favorites.